1: Villanova, Baylor, UCLA, Kansas
2: Gonzaga, Louisville, Kentucky, Virginia
3: West Virginia, Florida St., Wisconsin, Creighton
4: North Carolina, Xavier, Butler, Duke
5: Oregon, Florida, Virginia Tech, Arizona
6: Notre Dame, Cincinnati, Saint Mary's, Purdue
7: USC, Indiana, Minnesota, Clemson
8: Northwestern, Maryland, Kansas St., Arkansas
9: SMU, Miami (FL), Iowa St., South Carolina
10: Wichita St., UT Arlington, Oklahoma St., Michigan
11: Dayton, Seton Hall, Pitt, Michigan St., Texas Tech
12: Marquette, TCU, UNC Wilmington, Middle Tennessee, Florida Gulf Coast
13: Oakland, New Mexico St., Vermont, Boise St.,
14: Bucknell, Belmont, Samford, Akron
15: Princeton, North Dakota St., Canisius, UC Irvine
16: Houston Baptist, Weber St., North Carolina Central, Mount St., Mary's, Texas Southern, Liberty
- Teams are selected and seeded based on an "If the season ended today" scenario. This is not a projection of where I think they will end up, but where think they'd be based on season-to-date showings. I expect Gonzaga to fall as their strength of schedule weakens, while Michigan St. should rise as they get healthy and win games in the B1G. Doing it this way lets us track a team's stock as the season progresses.
- Automatic bids are awarded to the team KenPom projects to win the regular season. We'll keep it that way though January, before flipping over to the teams in first place in the conference standings.
- Villanova is pretty clear cut right now as the #1 overall seed coming off their road win over Creighton.
- In the end, I selected Michigan St. (2-0 in B1G play following an awful start), TCU (a lot of wins, but none against quality opponents), Marquette (a mixed bag so far) and Texas Tech (huge win over West Virginia last night) over Houston, Providence, Rhode Island, Georgia, Wake Forest and Texas A&M.
- I kept UCLA as the #3 overall seed despite their loss to Oregon. Had they won in Eugene, they could have easily been in contention for the top overall spot.
Conferences with multiple bids
9: Big Ten
8: Big 12
5: Big East
4: Pac-12, SEC
2: American, WCC